Buying your first home is a thrilling experience. Make it pleasant and affordable with First Home Owners Grant Scheme and stamp duty concessions. You can employ a reputed finance broker and make buying your first home easy.
I am a “First-Time homebuyer” planning to purchase or build my first new home. Can you please provide me with some information on the First Home Owners Grant scheme and the stamp duty concessions available to me from the government?
– A First-Time Homebuyer
Hi First-Time Homebuyer,
I don’t know what state or territory you are from. But, I do know that this is the best time for you buy property. The current property market, together with the First Home Owners Grant (FHOG) scheme benefits and stamp duty concessions the government provides will help you buy your first home easily. You may even be pleasantly surprised to know that you may get a better deal now, than what you would have received a few years ago.
First Home Owners Grant (FHOG) Scheme and Stamp Duty Concessions available to First-Time Homebuyers
“Buying” or “building” your first new home should be a realisation of your dreams. And the following things will help you in fulfilling it:
• The various “First Home Owners Grant (FHOG)” schemes available to you as a first-time homebuyer.
• The range of “Stamp Duty” concessions or exemptions available in some states and mainland territories help in reducing the cost of your new property.
Understanding the First Home Owner Grant (FHOG) Scheme
The First Home Owner Grant (FHOG) Scheme:
• Is a one-off grant, payable to you as a first-time homebuyer if you want to “purchase” or “build” a new residential property to live in; and
• Is a national scheme funded by each state and mainland territory, and is administered under their own legislation.
Understanding Stamp Duty Concessions for First-Time Homebuyer
Every state and mainland territory has a first-time home buyer concession in place for stamp duty, which differs quite considerably between each state and territory.
How does First Home Owner Grant Scheme work?
The process is similar across Australia. However, you need to provide supporting paperwork in order to prove your eligibility including:
• Proof of identity (you must be an Australian citizen or a permanent resident);
• “Contract of Sale” (i.e. if you are “buying” a new home), or a “contract to build” (i.e. if you are “building” your new home); and
• Proof that you and your spouse must not have previously owned a home in Australia
Note: For further information on the amount of grants, stamp duty exemptions and concessions payable by each state and territory, please visit your state government or territory website at:
New South Wales www.osr.nsw.gov.au
South Australia www.revenue.sa.gov.au
Western Australia www.dtf.wa.gov.au
Australian Capital Territory www.revenue.act.gov.au
Northern Territory www.treasury.nt.gov.au
Obtain the Services of an Expert
As with any aspiring new home owner buying or building your first new home at any stage of life can be an overwhelming process. You will have to find a specialised lender/credit provider who is willing and able to assist you. All these things can be daunting and time-consuming. So, having an expert finance broker on your side will save you lots of time and help you to complete your home buying process quickly.