With the popularity of home staging TV shows, many fans are getting a skewed view of the true costs of staging a house.
Through the magic of television, rooms are transformed within 30 minutes. Homeowners are shown updating light fixtures, removing walls, installing new carpet, and buying furniture for the amazing low price of $2000!
Real life home stagers are sometimes met with sticker-shocked homeowners when the estimated figure for staging their home is given. However, what the general public may not realize that there is more to a vacant staging project than just bringing in a sofa and floor plant.
In this article, the behind-the-scene staging costs are revealed!
First the obvious…
- Sofa and/or love seat
- Accent chairs, throw blankets and pillows
- End tables, coffee tables, table top decor
- Dining table and chairs, table top decor
- Buffet, lamps and decor
- Kitchen table and chairs, table top decor
- Bar stools
- Bed with bedding, throw pillows
- Accent chair, throw blanket, pillows
- Bedside table, lamp, decor
- Linens, shower curtain, vanity decor
- Art work in all staged rooms
- Rugs, curtains
- Mantle decor, floor plants
If you are not worn out yet, continue on to the less obvious staging costs…
- Labor costs for pulling inventory and restocking
- Labor costs for staging and destaging
- Labor costs for drafting estimates, contracts, and invoices
- Shopping expenses
- Delivery and pick up truck rental
- Gas, car insurance, business insurance
- Advertising costs – business cards, brochures, website management, mailings
- Hardware expenses – nails, screws, hooks, tools
- Extension cords, light bulbs, cleaning supplies, paper towels
Hopefully with this blog, homeowners will see the true costs behind this business. In real life, $2000 may not buy sellers a brand new wall, but it will get them a top-of -the line staging professional!
You may ask why stagers are in this business if the expenses are so high. The answer to that is we love to stage, and we love to help people fulfill the mission of selling their house!
KFM Staging & Design is a Minnesota home staging company that has been creating “First Impressions That Sell” for homeowners and Realtors across the Twin Cities and western Wisconsin. KFM Specializes in staging consultations and vacant stagings. For more information on home staging, visit our website: www.kfmstaging.com
Kristina, owner of KFM Staging & Design, is an Accredited Staging Professional and has been working with Realtors, builders, and homeowners in Minneapolis and surrounding communities for over ten years. KFM Staging & Design specializes in consulting as a real estate expert, performing vacant and occupied staging services, and working with re-design clients.
For more information on staging, visit: http://www.kfmstaging.com