The bathroom has a bad reputation in feng shui, and in some ways this is deserved, as you will discover. But it’s not all negative. Comfort, cleanliness, and convenience are key ingredients to good feng shui, and our modern bathrooms provide them all. One of the challenges posed by the modern bathroom is that there’s no good place for it in the ba gua* [the feng shui map of a space], which long predates indoor plumbing. We can look at the ba gua and see at a glance that the Family area would be a good place for the living room, that a home office is well-placed in the Knowledge, Wealth, or Career sectors, and that the Marriage corner of the house is a great place for the master bedroom. But where does the bathroom go?The bathroom is a little out of place anywhere, although some locations are more troublesome than others. The thing to keep in mind is that bathroom plumbing has a draining effect wherever it is located. Some very difficult bathroom locations are next to or above the front door and on the second floor directly above the kitchen.
These locations are particularly difficult because:
– A bathroom in the front hall, close to the door, can drain chi away before it has a chance to circulate through the rest of the house.
– A second-floor bathroom above the front door floods the main entry to your home with negative energy.
– The water energy in a bathroom above the kitchen will extinguish the hearth’s fire energy, and flood the entire kitchen with negative energy. This is potentially damaging to both health and prosperity.
The worst location for a bathroom is in the center of your home, where it will destabilize the energy of the entire home. If you suspect that the bathrooms in your house are affecting important spaces, there’s no need to panic.
Use these simple feng shui remedies to help keep your health, wealth, and happiness from flowing down the drain:
– Problem: bathroom in an important feng shui area (wealth, fame, marriage, etc.) Solutions: a full-length mirror on the outside of the bathroom door helps deflects chi so it won’t be drained away; keep sink and shower drains closed when not in use; keep the toilet seat/lid down when not in use.
– Problem: bathroom in the center of the home Solutions: paint the walls red, and place a stone, large crystal, or other earth-type object (such as a heavy ceramic bowl, vase, or statuette) in each corner to help stabilize the energy; a mirror on the outside of the door is highly recommended for this bathroom location.
– Problem: bathroom over the front door or over the kitchen Solutions: hang a faceted crystal in the center of the room; place a three-inch round mirror on the ceiling directly above the toilet to visually reverse the downward flow of water (use double-sided tape to hold the mirror in place); place earth-type objects in the corners of the room to stabilize the energy; add an image such as a bird or tree to the downstairs area below the bathroom to help lift the energy there.
Bathrooms are places for purification and cleansing, so a clean, sanitary bathroom strengthens and supports this important energy. A dirty bathroom, on the other hand, emphasizes the negative qualities of this room. If your bathroom occupies any of the more challenging locations described above, it is essential to keep it sparkling clean, tidy, and well-lit.After implementing the necessary precautions described above, you can further improve the chi of the bathroom by making it as pleasant a space as possible. This is where you begin and end the active part of each day, so the more attractive and inviting you can make it the better.
Most of us live hectic, stressful lives, and are in serious need of soothing places where we can relax and unwind. A clean, tidy, nicely appointed bathroom invites you to soak your worries away in a hot bath with lavender-scented bath salts. Make this pampering experience even nicer with candlelight, soft music, and a pile of fresh fluffy towels with which to dry off. All-white bathroom decor can seem cold and clinical; add warmth with pastel-colored towels and accessories, colorful scented candles, and attractive artwork.