These days, garage is not just a place where you park your car. Instead, a garage is used for many other purposes. There are a number of reasons for ensuring appropriate garage flooring, including protection from chemicals, oil spills, providing comfort for legs while working in the garage and also providing a well-maintained appearance to the garage. Epoxy paint, rubber mats, floor tiles are some of the commonly used garage flooring systems.
- The main advantage of rubber mats is that they are easy to install. You just have to lay down the mats on the floor and the installation is done. They can fit in any part of your garage. All you have to do is to cut them according to your need.
- Rubber mats are inexpensive as compared other garage flooring systems. They are available in almost all shapes and sizes at an affordable price.
- Rubber mats provide an insulated, cushioned and anti-slippery surface. They provide comfort to your legs when you walk on them.
- They protect the garage concrete floor from chemicals, dirt, grease and oil spills.
- Garage floor rubber mats are durable and easy to maintain.
- They help to reduce the dirt carried from garage into your house. This is because, dirt that falls from your car tires or your shoes adheres to the rubber mats.
Limitations of Garage Floor Rubber Mats
- Rubber mats are not good for use in high temperatures. Rubber has a very low melting point and thus, at very high temperature, the rubber may melt. If you park your vehicle on the rubber surface, the tires may get stuck onto the rubber mat.
- Rubber mats also have a low resistance to petroleum products. They get damaged to a great extent when exposed to such products.
Installation of Garage Floor Rubber Mats As mentioned earlier, installing rubber mats in garage is a very easy and a DIY job. The first step in installing rubber mats is cleaning the garage. The garage should be cleaned properly to remove any debris, dirt, or cement bumps. It is necessary to ensure that there are no sharp objects left on the floor. A vacuum cleaner or broom can be used to clean the garage. Gaps in the garage floor should be filled, if any and leveling should be done, if required. Then, the measurements of the garage floor should be taken. Rubber mats usually come in rolls that are 6-10 feet wide and 70 feet long. It is always preferable to purchase more of the mat than required. This extra mat can be put to use in case of damage to the rubber mat later on. Once the roll is purchased, the mat just has to be laid on the garage floor. Thus, garage floor rubber mats are installed in a few, simple steps. They are easy to cut, so one can cut them and adjust according to the garage design. Garage floor rubber mats not only provide good flooring, but also give a different look to the garage. Since they are inexpensive, easy to maintain and durable, they are the most popular type of garage flooring.